Author Topic: 2017 IMSA Laguna Seca  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Alianora La Canta

• International Silver
  • Rookie
2017 IMSA Laguna Seca
« on: September 23, 2017, 08:00:25 AM »
It's race weekend again at last :D

Fisico and Toni are at Laguna Seca, and in practise they were fastest. Hope this means pole and victory is coming, because they've had a really tough season and deserve some happy times :)

• International Silver
  • Rookie
Re: 2017 IMSA Laguna Seca
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 08:23:25 AM »
Rick Mayer, who is Risi Competizione's chief engineer, has done an interview about Risi's return to IMSA racing with Sportscar365.

We've also had a damage report for the hurricanes which hit the USA recently have not damaged the Risi factory, nor most of the team staff member's houses (surprising, as these are in Houston, most of which was hit hard by the hurricane), but Guiseppe Risi's house flooded, which is a shame. The race director for IMSA, Beaux Barfield, also had a flooded house, and several members of the paddock helped get the house back into habitable condition.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 08:27:33 AM by Alianora La Canta »

• International Silver
  • Rookie
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 11:06:06 PM »
Toni Vilander is absolutely fantastic!

For the first time in three years, Risi Competizione is on pole in IMSA. "Viking" Toni produced a fantastic lap to defeat everyone else in GTE-Pro by two-tenths of a second. He's delighted, Fisico is delighted (and gave Toni a big hug afterwards), I'm delighted and I imagine you all are too.

Let's keep this up for tomorrow... ...but let me dance around the room a bit first :D

• International Silver
  • Rookie
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 11:00:40 AM »
Sorry I've not managed to update for the past few days.

In the race, Toni ended up doing most of the driving because the car nearly ran out of fuel on the initially-planned one-stop strategy. Fisico had been leading at that point, and after the pit stop Toni was equally quick, rising to 2nd and nearly taking the win from the #25 BMW (which had crashed early in the race and was on a recovery race of its own). Indeed, Toni pushed the #25 BMW so hard that the latter nearly had to pit for fuel itself (something that would have returned the win to Fisico and Toni).

So it was 2nd, but a brilliantly-driven 2nd, that for a bit better fuel consumption would have been victory. Or, as Risi's former PR officer Fiona Miller put it, one more lap. Or, as Toni put it, a bit larger fuel tank under BoP. Still, Toni enjoyed his weekend - he says there were a lot of laughs. He and Fisico have a great friendship.

It was somewhat more bittersweet for Fisico, who felt that victory was deserved, and thanked Risi for the great job they did.