Author Topic: 2018 WEC Silverstone  (Read 656 times)

Offline Alianora La Canta

• International Silver
  • Rookie
2018 WEC Silverstone
« on: August 07, 2018, 02:01:50 PM »
Unfortunately I won't be able to go to Silverstone this year due to ill-health*, but we can still enjoy listening to Fisico do his best to win the GTE-Am class of WEC via radiolemans.com on Augusy 18th. Here is the Spotters' Guide.

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
  • International Tin
Re: 2018 WEC Silverstone
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 12:42:58 PM »
Fisico appears to have just taken GTE-Am pole :D

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
  • International Tin
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 02:37:23 PM »
Unfortunately it looks like there was an error. It was the #56 rather than the #54 that got pole in GTE-Am (PDF link). Fisico starts 6th out of the 9 in class, 0.7 seconds off pole. On the other hand, they were clearly the fastest of the Ferraris - the entire make just had a bad day (6th-in-class is the best any Ferrari did today).

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
  • International Tin
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 03:48:40 PM »
A photo of Fisico's car in its garage, with some AF Corse mechanics standing around it.

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
  • International Tin
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 10:22:52 PM »
his car came in last of all the GTE-Ams (PDF link), in P29, ahead of the heavily-delayed #71 GTE-Pro Ferrari (that had a tyre explosion but got classified). Whatever the problem was must have been significant, as the #54 was 9 laps behind the penultimate GTE-Am car, let alone the class winner (which was the #77 Dempsey Proton).

On the other hand, his friend Gimmi Bruni got disqualified from 2nd in GTE-Pro. His Porsche's ride height was too low. So it could have been worse.

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
  • International Tin
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 11:11:08 PM »
Well, Gimmi has company: both Toyotas, including the one Fernando Alonso, Sebastien Buemi and Kazuki Nakajima drive, have been disqualified for skid block violations. They had been first and second overall in the race.

Is anyone going to pass scrutineering tonight?

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
  • International Tin
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 11:44:17 PM »
The average lap performance chart is also in. Fisico's laps are slower than I'd expect - he's averaged about the same as the Silver drivers in non-Ferrari cars. Admittedly, this was a day when the fastest driver (Carioli) is a Gold driver rather than the usual Platinums, and in any case Fisico was within a second of Carioli's average (in other words, Fisico was  Castellaci was the slowest Silver driver by a small margin and Flohr was not only the slowest Bronze driver, but was averaging about 4 seconds a lap slower than most of the other Bronze drivers.

What I can see is that Fisico has an unusually long "tail" on his average times. That suggests to me the car was OK (though not ideal) at the beginning - maybe even for the whole first stint - but had a problem in the first half of the race (before Fisico got the car back for his second stint). It would especially explain why Flohr struggled so much with it, because he's a much less experienced and slower driver (exactly the sort who would be expected to have more difficulty when there are problems with the car).

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
  • International Tin
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 07:54:11 AM »
Fisico has taken a couple of photographs - one of his team-mate Thomas Flohr's helmet, and another of his car 5 minutes before the race. Chris Mazda6 also took a photo of Fisico's car - in the garage during the pit walk.

Fisico also contributed to an article about Alonso. He said (translated from the original Spanish):

But he is not the only illustrious former teammate of Fernando's who is on the British track this weekend. With red-white overalls, somewhat grizzled hair and Ferrari aura, Giancarlo Fisichella, 45 years old, stands out among the GT field with a 488 GTE from Maranello in the team Spirit of Race, as he approached his box, number 11. "I've been with Ferrari since 2009, it's a fantastic brand and I'm happy to work with them", he says. He competed in his last F1 race in that year, substituting for the injured Massa.

"F1 will miss him, but maybe it was time to quit"

Team-mates with Alonso at the most successful time for both, at Renault, during 2005 and 2006. The Italian won two races (he got his first win for Jordan) and became fourth in a World Championship. The Asturian was proclaimed World Champion twice. How do you like the decision to leave F1?  "It's a little sad, Fernando is a great pilot. The F1 will miss him, but maybe it was time to quit. He didn't have a car to win again and in that situation maybe the right thing is to stop and look for something else. I think he's enjoying the world of endurance, he has a nice car and he won Le Mans. This is great for him."

"He will probably go to Indycar now, and I hope that he will win the Indy 500 and the championship," says Giancarlo to this site.  And he's waiting to go back to F1?  "I don't think he'll come back, it's hard to return to F1. But you never know...". Fisichella went with 229 Grand Prix, in the top ten in history, with 19 podiums after 14 seasons, and since then is a regular of endurance racing, signing of the Cavallino Rampante.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 08:03:32 AM by Administrator »