Author Topic: Fisico Returns To WEC  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Alianora La Canta

• International Silver
  • Rookie
Fisico Returns To WEC
« on: February 07, 2018, 09:04:39 PM »
Giancarlo Fisichella is leaving IMSA to return to WEC! He's going to be the lead driver of the GTE-Am Spirit of Race car. He's going to spend the 18-month "super season" sharing the car with Thomas Flohr and Francesco Castellaci.

Thomas Flohr is a businessman (he runs a large private jet company) and Francesco Castellaci has come second in the ELMS and Blancpain Endurance series recently. They have raced in WEC together since 2012. Last year, they won their class in the Fuji WEC race. They are good by GTE-Am standards, but will definitely benefit from having Giancarlo join them.

Everyone is really enthusiastic. I don't think I've seen Fisico so excitable in a quote for ages. Thomas correctly sees the likelihood of making progress as a team, and Francesco is simply in awe, because he's always looked up to him due to Fisico being,"one of the greatest Italian drivers of the last two decades".
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:15:19 PM by Alianora La Canta »

Offline Alianora La Canta

• International Silver
  • Rookie
Re: Fisico Returns To WEC
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 09:58:57 AM »
The official entry list is out. Fisico's Spirit of Race team is car #54, which makes it the lowerst-numbered GTE-Am car. Interestingly, he is indicated as conditional on receipt of licence. While this is usually a formality, it's not one I've seen before - making me think one of two things, one of which would be interesting and the other... ...not so much:

- Fisico wasn't 100% sure if he was going to be racing anything in 2018 until this deal was signed

- The ACO doesn't trust IMSA's rating system (which, as Fisico hasn't raced in the full WEC for over 3 years, would also cause that mark to appear, despite Fisico being blatantly Platinum on both systems due to having held a Superlicence and being under 50).

Also note that if Fisico and his new friends win their class at any point, we won't hear the Italian national anthem. Yes, Spirit of Race is a wing of the very Italian AF Corse... ...but it is registered in Switzerland. Probably because Thomas Flohr, who pays for the entry to exist, is Swiss.

His rivals will be two other Ferraris (one each from fellow AF Corse client Clearwater Racing which includes Matt Griffin, and the new-to-me MR Racing), four Porsches (one Team Project 1 that includes Jorg Bergmeister, one Gulf Racing and two Dempsey-Proton cars) and two Aston Martins (one works entry and one TF Sport). There are 9 cars and a remarkably tough field.