Author Topic: Italian GT Championship  (Read 2911 times)

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
  • National A
Italian GT Championship
« on: February 16, 2018, 09:03:22 PM »
Giancarlo Fisichella will be competing in the Italian GT Championship (link in Italian), including at least one round in April 29! This is quite a surprise, as Giancarlo usually only manages to do the 6 Ore di Vallelunga, when he does national-level races at all. He will race for the Baldini 27 team. The team-mate is currently unknown.

We can be sure that Giancarlo won't do the whole Italian GT Championship. This is because he has something slightly bigger to race at during the Misano weekend... ...the 24 Heures du Le Mans!

Giancarlo says that he's known the team boss, Fabio Baldini, for many years and he was eager to accept a place in such a professional team. The races, being so short, emphasise qualifying and the quality of the pit stop, and Giancarlo also says that (despite his vast experience) he will have to adapt a little because so many fast drivers are in Italian GT.

For his part, Fabio considers himself honoured that Giancarlo, "one of the best Italian drivers of all time" is joining his team. It is unusual a team would be willing to lose a driver like Eddie Cheever III, who has apparently given impeccable service. That Baldini is OK with this says a lot about how he sees Giancarlo.

In bocca al lupo a tutti in Baldini 27!

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
  • National A
Re: Italian GT Championship
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 09:54:43 AM »
Stefano Gai will be Fisico's team-mate in the Baldini 27. I'm glad a decision has been made on this, given that their debut race together is only a week away...

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
  • National A
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 10:52:11 AM »
Aaaaaaaand he's on pole!

Giancarlo Fisichella took his first pole for longer than I dare to remember (he usually lets his team-mates do qualifying, though I think he's been on pole once before in sportscars). This is something that I hope will happen more often, now that he is the indisputable lead driver in a GTE-Am car. Way to go, Fisico, and best wishes for the race!

(He's in Imola and I have no idea when the race is, but I believe it is later today).

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
  • National A
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 11:27:00 PM »
Giancarlo and Stefano finished their first race together with victory and their second race in 2nd position! Not bad at all :D From the photo Fisico included, he had fun putting his Ferrari onto two wheels...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:55:58 PM by Administrator »

Offline Administrator

• Administrator
  • National A

Offline Alianora La Canta

• International Silver
  • Rookie
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 07:39:10 PM »
Because we all like happy Fisico podium photos...

Giancarlo and Stefano Gai won the Italian GT race at Mugello. The car ahead, the Easy Race Ferrari, had to serve a penalty because their line-up was too high-achieving (I believe it is Gold-Gold, whereas Fisico's car is Platinum-Bronze) and had to serve a penalty, and our dynamic duo kept everything tidy to allow themselves to pass when the penalty happened. Stefano is now leading the championship (Fisico is only not leading because he missed last round; he was kind of busy getting a podium at Le Mans...)

The next race is in Vallelunga on September 8th-9th.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 07:40:47 PM by Alianora La Canta »